Study Abroad Services Processing Times

Please review the chart below to see the procedure for requesting a service from the Study Abroad office and timeframe within which your request will be processed. Where applicable, students will drop off their item at the front desk, and receive an email when the item is ready for pick up.

Although the Study Abroad office is here to assist you, it is your responsibility to provide enough time for us to complete the requested service. Please keep in mind that the Study Abroad office may refer you to another office or advisor as appropriate based on your request.



Processing Time

Letter Request

Email study abroad advisor with detailed request; include if electronic copy will suffice

1 week

Non-UM Program Petition Review

Drop-off or email completed non-UM program form and petition

2 weeks

Restricted Travel Authorization

Complete the Authorization Form

3 weeks


Drop off item for signature at Study Abroad front desk. All fields that are able to be completed by student should be filled in.

1 week

University Trips

University Trip Procedure

4 weeks


Our office often receives requests regarding transcripts:

  • For students who recently studied abroad: We must receive the official transcript from our partner university abroad before classes and grades from your term abroad appear on the UM transcript. In some cases, this may be well after course grades are visible to the student. Normal processing time once we receive this transcript is 3 business days.
  • For previous participants:
    • For your UM transcript, you may access your unofficial transcript on CaneLink. If you require an official transcript, you need to follow the UM Registrar process for ordering transcripts.
    • For the partner university transcript, you need to follow their process to request an official transcript. If you are unable to find this information on the partner university website, you may contact the appropriate advisor to inquire about the procedure. In many cases, we will need to contact the partner before we will be able to provide an answer.