Looking for a quick answer?  Check out our most frequent questions below!

What types of programs do you offer?

The Office of Study Abroad offers programs as short as one week and as long as an academic year. You may study abroad on a program led by a faculty member, on a UM Semester-on-Location program, or on an UM Partner Program or affiliated university program.

Will I Be Able to Use My Financial Aid Abroad?
Students participating in a UM study abroad program will be able to use their financial aid abroad.  You will be charged full tuition on your tuition bill for the semester during which you will be abroad, so your aid package will not be affected; however, studying abroad will incur additional expenses for which you may wish to apply for additional aid. While overseas, if you have specific questions, you should contact the Office of Financial Assistance Services directly at ofas@miami.edu.

Effective Spring Semester 2015, the University of Miami will no longer offer financial aid for students visiting and attending other institutions under a non-UM study abroad “consortium” program.  Therefore, when you are selecting a study abroad program, we advise you to choose programs that are part of the UM semester on location (“U”) programs and those listed on our UM Partner Program list since your financial aid and scholarships will apply while you are abroad.  You will find a complete listing of these UM administered programs under the “Programs” tab of this website. 

What if I do not speak a foreign language?
There are many opportunities to study abroad in English! Many countries offer a full program of study in English, even in non-English speaking countries.

What are the requirements to study abroad?
While acknowledging that all study abroad programs and overseas institutions have their own criteria for admissions, University of Miami students are held to an institutional standard before being allowed to study abroad for credit. Students are eligible to study abroad no earlier than Summer Session I following their first year. The minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) required for students wishing to study abroad is 2.7 on a scale of 4.0. Many programs have a higher GPA requirement as stated on the program brochures.

How far in advance do I have to plan my study abroad?
The earlier the better! Planning for a study abroad takes time. It is not too early for entering freshman to go over their study abroad options with an advisor. Try to plan at least one year in advance for a semester program, and 3-6 months in advance for a shorter term program.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?
Call us at 305-284-3434 or email us at studyabroad@miami.edu to make an appointment with a study abroad advisor.

I want to study on a program that is not listed on your website. How do I do this?
You may study on non-UM sponsored programs by completing the proper paperwork, available at this link. The program must be approved by the Office of Study Abroad and you must secure permission from your school or college.

When is the best time for me to study abroad?
The answer is different for every student. It depends on many factors, such as major and minor requirements, proficiency of a foreign language (for programs taught in a foreign language), academic progress and student maturity. Talk to both your academic advisor and a study abroad advisor to determine what is best for you.

How will my credits convert to UM credits?
Click here for more information about credits.

Will my GPA be affected?
The grades that you earn abroad will count toward your UM GPA. Click here for more information about academics.

Where do I find the programs?
You can look under the programs tab of our website.

What classes can I take while I am abroad?
The answer depends on what kind of program you participate in. You can study abroad for a semester at a host university where you may participate in the courses available to regular university students. Shorter programs, such as UM faculty-led programs, will offer specific courses for the participants.

Can I take a course pass/fail?
Please refer to the academics section of the website.

How do I get my courses approved? 
If you would like to have the courses count toward your major, minor, or general education requirements, you must obtain approvals, called “course equivalences.” After you choose your courses overseas, you will obtain signatures and course equivalents for each department in which you seek credit. All admitted study abroad students will receive the course equivalency form, also available on our website.

What kind of health insurance do I need?
All students who study abroad must show proof of health insurance that provides adequate medical and accident coverage for the entire duration that they are abroad. University of Miami students are covered for emergency evacuation and repatriation.

When do I book my flight?
This answer depends on your program. Do not make any flight arrangements until you have been fully accepted into the program and it has been determined that the program will happen. For semester and year programs, as well as direct-enroll programs, your study abroad advisor or the overseas university will provide the arrival dates so that you can book your flight accordingly.