Financial Aid

With careful planning, studying abroad can be affordable!  Interested students should meet with a study abroad advisor before discussing financial aid options with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment.


Most forms of financial aid are available to UM students studying abroad on UM programs. 

This aid includes:
• Pell grants
• SEOG grants
• Federal Direct Loans
• PLUS loans
• UM Grants

UM students studying abroad on UM semester and year-long programs may also use their university scholarship(s).

Non-UM students receiving financial aid from their home institutions should contact their financial aid office to determine if the aid is transferable.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

My study abroad program costs more than what it costs to attend the University of Miami. Can I get more financial aid to cover my study abroad costs?
The Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment can increase your Cost of Attendance according to the estimated program costs, so that you may apply for additional loan funds. The OSFAE will not offer or increase any grant or scholarship money that you are receiving.

What financial aid is available for the summer study abroad programs?
Federal aid and loans are available for the summer for students enrolled half-time or more, if eligible. No state aid is available for summer programs. In most cases, UM merit scholarships do not apply to summer study abroad.

I am going on a non-UM sponsored program. Can I still receive my financial aid?
No. Effective Spring Semester 2015, the University of Miami will no longer offer financial aid for students participating in non-UM study abroad programs. No UM grants, scholarships or any student loans can be used for non-UM study abroad programs. Florida aid will not be available for non-UM study abroad programs.

What is the earliest that my financial aid can be released to me for my program?
Due to federal regulations, the OSFAE is unable to release any federal aid earlier than ten (10) days before the start of the semester at University of Miami.

How will I receive my refund?
All financial aid will be applied to your student account at UM first. If there are remaining funds after your aid is applied to your student account, you will receive a refund. It is suggested that you sign up for direct deposit so that the funds will go directly into your account.

If you have additional questions concerning financial aid, please call the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment at 305-284-5212 or visit their office in the Whitten University Center, Suite 2275.
If you have questions concerning your refund or student account, please contact Student Account Services at 305-284-6430 option 5.