Incoming Exchange FAQs

Frequently asked questions that will help incoming exchange students acclimate to life on campus at the University of Miami

Application Process

Open All Tabs
  • How do I apply to UM as an international exchange student?

    In order to partake in an exchange program at the University of Miami, you must currently be enrolled as a student at one of our partner institutions. Please click here to see if your school is on the list of UM partner institutions.

    If your school is on the list, you should contact the Office of International Relations, Mobility, or Education Abroad at your home university for application information.

  • What if my university is not listed as an exchange partner?

    Students who do not attend one of UM's exchange partner institutions may contact UM's Division of Continuing and International Education's Miami Semester-Visiting Students Program to study at UM as a visiting undergraduate student. For undergraduate tuition and fees rates, visit the Office of Student Account Services.

  • What if I can’t send my financial information before the application deadline?

    Financial documents are required by the U.S. federal government for universities to grant admission. We will not be able to issue your visa documents until you have uploaded adequate proof of funds. Issuing your visa documents from UM will take several weeks and visa processing times vary by US consulate location. Please contact your UM Study Abroad advisor to ask for an extension if you expect or experience delays.  

  • Does UM offer scholarships for international/exchange students?

    Participating in an exchange program means that tuition costs at your host university (UM) are waived, and you continue to pay tuition to your home university. Exchange students remain responsible for mandatory fees and living costs at UM. UM does not provide any scholarships for incoming exchange students. Check with your home university exchange coordinator to find out if any scholarships are available from your home institution/country.  

  • If I have a U.S. passport, should I upload it to my application?

    If you have a U.S. passport or are eligible for U.S. citizenship, you are required to enter the U.S. with a U.S. passport. Please upload a copy of your U.S. passport to your application. You will still be required to complete all questionnaires in your application.  

  • How many semesters can I study at UM as an exchange student?

    Exchange students can study at UM as non-degree seeking students through our exchange program for a maximum of 2 semesters. This is subject to availability and is not guaranteed. Students should contact their home university for additional information.

Preparing for Arrival

Open All Tabs
  • When should I apply for on-campus housing?

    On-campus housing is extremely limited and is not guaranteed. Students should seriously consider and research off-campus options, even when applying to on-campus housing. 

    To apply for on-campus housing, students require a unique CaneID and access to CaneLink. If a student submits a complete application, they will receive their CaneID approximately 6-8 weeks after the application deadline. Incomplete applications will cause delays in receiving a CaneID and access to the on-campus housing application.

    Once students have access to CaneLink, they can apply for on-campus housing if the link to the application is available. This link will be available on the Student Home page once housing applications open. Students should review information found at Apply for Housing: New Students.

  • When will I find out about campus housing?

    Contact UM Housing & Residential Life directly to find out when housing decisions will be made, to check the status of your application, and to confirm your spot on the waitlist.

  • What if I am not selected for on-campus housing?

    If you do not get a room on-campus, there are plenty of housing options off-campus.  

  • Where can I find resources to research off-campus housing options?

    Please visit Housing & Residential Life’s Living Off Campus for more information on off-campus housing options.  

  • What date should I arrive by?

    You should not make plans to come to Miami until you have received acceptance notification directly from your UM Study Abroad advisor. Then, you will be able to find your arrival date on your acceptance letter. As a reminder, students must attend the compulsory Exchange Student Orientation session during ‘Cane Kickoff.  

    Students entering the U.S. on an F-1 visa can arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date listed on their I-20.  

  • Do I have to enroll in the University of Miami student health insurance plan?

    Yes. We are unable to accept any outside insurance policies. Waivers are not permitted, regardless of additional or existing coverage. You can find more information about the policy on our Insurance Plan page.  

  • Are immunizations required for exchange students?

    Yes, you can find information on the required immunizations, the process for providing proof of immunizations, and deadlines on the Student Health Service Immunization page.  

  • When will I receive my acceptance letter and I-20?

    Once you have submitted all application documents to the Study Abroad office, we will review and send your documents to International Student & Scholars Services and they will make the final decision and issue the I-20. Usually I-20s are issued within 2 months of the application deadline, however it may take longer if there are many applications or if you do not submit a complete application by the application deadline. You should not make plans to come to Miami until you have received acceptance notification directly from your Study Abroad advisor. 

Academic Planning

Open All Tabs
  • How can I find information about course offerings at UM?

    Students should use the Academic Bulletin for academic planning purposes until the courses for your exchange term become available. The Academic Bulletin is subject to change and may not reflect the course offerings during specific exchange periods.  

  • Are there are any course restrictions?

    Students cannot enroll in Music performance, Medical School, or Law School courses. Students coming on the undergraduate exchange are also not allowed to take 600+ level classes and can only enroll in 500-level classes with special permission of the instructor and department. Special restrictions apply to courses within the College of Engineering and Miami Herbert School of Business. Neuroscience classes may not be available to exchange students due to limited space. 

  • I have questions on which courses fit into my academic plan. Who should I contact?

    Academic advisors at your home university can help you plan your course enrollment in advance. Students must assume the responsibility, in conjunction with their home academic advisor, of selecting courses that are at the appropriate level for their corresponding year. UM advisors are not familiar with the degree requirements at our partner universities, which places responsibility for finding a curricular match on the student and their university.  

    Exchange students and their home university advisors should keep in mind that an important benefit of studying abroad is to experience a new educational system and to have the opportunity to take courses different from those taught at home. Within the U.S. higher education system, students are encouraged to take classes outside their major field of study.   

  • When will classes begin and end?

    This information is available on the UM Academic Calendar. Please be sure to refer to your acceptance letter for your arrival date. 

  • How many classes do I have to take?

    You must stay enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits and a maximum of 20 credits throughout the semester (9 credits for students coming to UM on a graduate exchange). Most courses are 3 credits each and students usually take 4-6 courses a semester. Exchange students usually enroll in 15 credits per semester. 

  • How do I secure a seat in a specific class that I must take?

    Space in a specific course is not guaranteed. Some classes may not be available due to popularity or capacity and not all classes listed in the academic bulletin are offered each semester. Students should have alternative options and should not rely upon any specific UM course.  

  • What should I do if the courses I want are full?

    If a class is full, you should find an alternate course option that is open. You may be added to the waitlist, but this does not guarantee a spot in that course and is subject to space becoming available.   

  • When does registration take place?

    Registration takes place one semester at a time. You can view your specific enrollment appointment (the date you may begin registering for classes) in CaneLink; go to your Student Center and look in the box named “Enrollment Dates” in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to find the specific dates. More information on the Exchange Student Registration process can be found in the Exchange Student Handbook 

  • If I request a course on the registration form, is admission into the class guaranteed?

    No. The course must be open to exchange students and have available seats at the time we attempt to enroll you in the course. If the course has pre-requisites listed, you must receive approval to enroll in the course. For additional information, please see the Exchange Student Handbook 

  • Can I change classes after I arrive at UM?

    Yes, you can modify your schedule upon arrival. Pay attention to the “Last Day for Registration and to Add a Course” and the “Last Day to Drop a Course Without a ‘W’” according to the Academic Calendar.  

During Your Exchange

Open All Tabs
  • How do I pay my bill?

    Payment to the University of Miami should be made after registration in the minimum credit load (12 credits for undergraduates and 9 credits for graduates). Payment is due by the beginning of the semester. Do NOT pay the tuition fee if it appears on your bill. More information can be found in the Exchange Student Handbook 

  • Can I apply for employment during my exchange?

    F-1 students are generally only permitted to work part-time on the premises of the university that issued their I-20, while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. For more information, visit ISSS’s employment page. 

After Your Exchange

Open All Tabs
  • How do I stay for an additional semester?

    To extend your exchange for an additional semester, you must ask the exchange coordinator at your home institution for their approval. If the coordinator approves, they should to send an email to your UM Study Abroad advisor to request an extension. If your extension is then approved by UM, you must submit a signed Academic Advisor's Recommendation for Program Extension form, updated proof of funding, I-94 and your original I-20 to the ISSS office in the UC 2275 no later than 14 business days before the expiration of the current I-20. 

  • When will my transcripts be sent to my home university?

    If you do not have a hold on your account, we will order a transcript and send to your institution automatically. For the fall semester, these are typically sent by the late January/early February. For the spring semester, these are typically sent by the end of June. 
    Note: A hold on your account prevents us from obtaining your transcript; our office is not able to intervene or override holds. If you have any questions about the holds on your account, please contact Cane Central 

    If you need additional copies of your transcript, now or in the future, you can order official copies through CaneLink or from the Office of the Registrar for a fee.  

  • When will my grades be released?

    Please review the UM Academic Calendar for specific dates on when grades will be released in CaneLink. Once they are released, you can access your grades in the Student Center under Academics.